And now for this week’s rating report from StatManDan for MLP’s Rarity Takes Manehatten & LPS’s Blythe’s Big Idea. In a previous ratings post someone asked about the sources of our numbers, to answer that question these numbers are generally pulled from TvMediaInsights and a ratings blog called Son of the Bronx. StatManDan may have other sources, since numbers are his game.
MLP’s six-week streak at the top of the Hub viewership chart came to an end this week thanks to a New Year’s Day showing of “The Polar Express.” However, “Rarity Takes Manehattan” did take second place with a total of 527,000 viewers which is just 4,000 off “Bats!” from last Saturday. “Rarity Takes Manehattan” does become the sixth most-watched episode of the series (counting the S3 and S4 premieres as one episode each). It is also the fourth successive week that the show cracked the 500K mark in terms of viewership.
Meanwhile, “Blythe’s Big Idea” drew 249,000 on Saturday (down 17.3% from last week) which was good for 25th place this week. The downside was that it was again behind the Saturday and Sunday repeats of “Alligators and Handbags” (both showings incidentally did better than its first-run last week) and 12 reruns of MLP (including 6 of 7 repeats of Season 4 episodes on New Year’s Day). The one-hour drop off from “Rarity Takes Manehattan” to “Blythe’s Big Idea” was a staggering 53%. It goes without saying that the Season 2 viewership for LPS is well off the pace set by the first season. This is the fourth successive week in which the LPS episode that aired the previous Saturday had done better than the first-run LPS episode.
Details after the page break.
Here are the updated season-to-date figures for both shows (numbers only count first-run episodes):LPS Season 2:MLP Season 4:
- Episodes as of January 9th: 8
- High: 733,000 (“Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 1”, 11/23)
- Low: 397,000 (“Daring Don’t”, 12/7)
- Average Viewership: 576,125
- Highest Placing: 1st (six times)
- Lowest Placing: 2nd (twice)
- Average Placing: 1stMost Watched MLP Episodes:
- 1. Princess Twilight Sparkle (721,000 for both parts)
- 2. Power Ponies (683,000)
- 3. The Crystal Empire (601,000 for both parts)
- 4. Flight to the Finish (568,000)
- 5. Bats! (531,000)
- 6. Rarity Takes Manehattan (527,000)
- 7. Wonderbolts Academy (505,000)
- 8. One Bad Apple (494,000)
- 9. A Canterlot Wedding (479,000 for both parts)
- 10. Magical Mystery Cure (478,000)
As a bonus, thanks to Douglas Pucci of Son of the Bronx and TV Media Insights, we now have the viewership totals for all Season Three episodes.
MLP Season 3 (numbers only count first-run episodes):
- The Crystal Empire, Part 1 (578,000)
- The Crystal Empire, Part 2 (623,000)
- Too Many Pinkie Pies (431,000)
- One Bad Apple (494,000)
- Magic Duel (366,000)
- Sleepless in Ponyville (387,000)
- Wonderbolts Academy (505,000)
- Apple Family Reunion (368,000)
- Spike at Your Service (432,000)
- Keep Calm and Flutter On (418,000)
- Just for Sidekicks (324,000)
- Games Ponies Play (394,000)
- Magical Mystery Cure (478,000)
- Season 3 Average: 446,000
Season 4 is currently 22% ahead of Season 3 pace after 8 episodes.
Finally, for this remotely interested, here’s how all S4 episodes did on New Year’s Day in order of placement:
- 1. Castle Mane-ia (415,000, 4th)
- 2. Power Ponies (402,000, 5th)
- 3. Flight to the Finish (338,000, 13th)
- 4. Bats! (324,000, 15th)
- 5. Daring Don’t (285,000, 21st)
- 6. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 2 (278,000, 22nd)
- 7. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 1 (205,000, 42nd)