Ratings Corner: “Maud Pie” and “Littlest Bigfoot”

Viewership for MLP fell from last week, though they didn’t necessarily drop like a rock. “Maud Pie” drew 521,000 viewers last Saturday according to ratings published by TV Media Insights. It should be noted there was a new Sanjay and Craig opposite the episode and that drew over 3M viewers. That could be one factor, but there has been no set pattern when it comes to the viewership week in and week out. Though all three episodes where Pinkie Pie was at least partially the focus have received mostly critical praise (“Pinkie Apple Pie,” “Pinkie Pride”), this episode was the most-viewed of the three and was the 10th most-watched this season.

With reference to the recently released State of the Herd 2014, it was noted that 24% of US Bronies watch the Hub as their primary source of watching new episodes. Let’s say they account for the average viewership thus far. If the remaining 76% joined them (that would assume they all had access to the Hub), you would have an average audience of over 2.34 million which would put it past anything on Cartoon Network. But of course, the Hub is only available to 72.2M pay TV subscribers compared to Cartoon Network’s 98.6M. So take what you want from that, but don’t get in a tizzy over how the numbers this week were off from last week’s episode. The average viewership for the second half of the season (“Filli Vanilli” onwards) is still ahead of pace from the first half.

MLP Season 4:
Episodes as of March 21st: 18
High: 733,000 (“Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 1”, 11/23/13)
Low: 397,000 (“Daring Don’t”, 12/7/13)
Season-to-Date Average Viewership: 553,389
First Half Average Viewership: 547,538
Second Half Average Viewership: 568,600
Highest Placing: 1st (16 times)
Lowest Placing: 2nd (twice)
Average Placing: 1.11

Most Watched MLP Episodes:
1. Princess Twilight Sparkle (721,000 for both parts)
2. Power Ponies (683,000)
3. It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies (644,000)
4. Somepony to Watch over Me (625,000)
5. The Crystal Empire (601,000 for both parts)
6. Filli Vanilli (584,000)
7. Flight to the Finish (568,000)
8. Simple Ways (554,000)
9. Bats! (531,000)
10. Rarity Takes Manehattan (527,000)

Sunday’s viewing “Littlest Bigfoot” drew 242,000 viewers finishing in 12th position. Of course, that is not the first-run showing and does not count on our averages. Saturday’s viewing unfortunately does. That drew a season-low 152,000 viewers was 54th on the Hub charts–also a season-low. It came in behind 12 of its own reruns, including Sunday’s encore and Saturday and Sunday encores of “Plane it on Rio.” However, it’s been safe to assume that the primary source of watching new episodes is not when they first air at 11:30am Eastern Time on the Hub on Saturdays. But still, LPS continues to draw less than half the crowd that MLP does.

LPS Season 2:
Episodes as of March 21st: 21
High: 362,000 (“Shanghai Hi-Jinks”, 3/8/14)
Low: 152,000 (“Littlest Bigfoot”, 3/15/14)
Season-to-Date Average Viewership: 232,619
First Half Average Viewership: 234,384
Second Half Average Viewership to Date: 229,750
Highest Placing: 1st (“Eight Arms to Hold You”, 11/9/13)
Lowest Placing: 54th (“Littlest Bigfoot”, 3/15/14)
Average Placing: 18.43

Most Watched LPS Episodes:
1. Blythe’s Big Adventure (520,500 for both parts)
2. Dumb Dumbwaiter (451,000)
3. Bad Hair Day (446,000)
4. Sweet (Truck) Ride (400,000)
t-5. Trading Places (383,000)
t-5. Eve of Destruction (383,000)
7. Terriers and Tiaras (365,000)
8. Lights, Camera, Mongoose! (363,000)
9. Plane it on Rio (362,000)
10. Door-Jammed (359,000)

StatManDan (Twitter: @StatManDan)

Comments are closed.