The Internet fandom surrounding My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has shown itself to be increasingly creative, inclusive, surprising, and prolific.
A loose collective of Brony professionals and enthusiast from different corners of the fandom, calling themselves the Bit Bucket Brigade (BBB), are so inspired that they have decided to helm a MLP:FIM fan animation project called Summer Funimation Project 2012 in the hopes to harness this creative energy between seasons.
The Screenwriting Contest phase of Summer Funimation is over. We’re up to our withers in screenplays that our fandom’s talented writers contributed, which were fantastic, so much so that we’re still deciding who to declare the winner.
We’re seriously impressed at the quality of the entries.
Now it’s the fandom’s artists turn to have their chance to shine!
Our animators need a reference point to work from, that’s where storyboarding comes in. Storyboards allow us to plan the animation process shot by shot and refine them from there. This will help us make changes as they appear before anyone starts animating, where applying corrections is much more difficult.
To give everyone a fair chance we’ve devised to open this contest to all and are looking for up to two potential storyboard artists to fill up our ever growing roster.
- You must use this page as your script reference for your storyboards: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2bwPypSPHalNGhtMVpiNlp3ZGM/edit
Note: This page is not from any script under consideration for this project.
- We’re looking for the artist to display their ability to translate the provided page into a coherent beginning and end whilst preserving the show’s style. More importantly, we look at how you interpret the script and express your own creativity within these bounds.
- Submissions don’t need to be colored, nor should they be very detailed. We are looking for your ability to visualize the story and breathe life into it.
- If starting with pencils, please ink the important objects/subjects in each frame.
- Please use this template for each storyboard page: (insert link to PNG)
- All entries must submit a minimum of 18 panels (6 provided template pages) and cannot exceed 30 (10 template pages).
- If you scan your filled in templates from paper, please clean up the scans before you send them to us. Muddy or noisy submissions might not get the attention they deserve.
- All entries must be in Zip’d PNG format. That is, take all your storyboard pages, make sure you save/export them to PNG format, then Zip up those files and send that to us. Stick to names like page1.png, page2.png, so that we can see them in order in a comic-book reader.
- Submit your work to [email protected]
- Maximum size limit of your Zip’d storyboards is 15MB. We don’t need them at 600 dpi, thanks!
- Final date for storyboard submissions is July 6.
- Be warned: If you win, we will be counting on you to do 8 or more times as many panels for the animation project, so be prepared to work hard!
Don’t submit if you can’t commit!
Flamingo1986 has provided us with some examples of how you might fill out the storyboard template.
The winners will be announced alongside the winners of the screenwriting competition at a tentative date.
Any questions can be directed to our tumblr
Or our /collab/ thread